Mad River Lodge History-
History of predecessor-
King Hiram Lodge #45, Waitsfield, Vermont
First meeting July 7, 1817
Lodge building eventually in Moretown
Lodge Charter surrendered on June 13, 1932, due to “Morgan Affair” which produced nation-wide antiMasonic sentiment.
Current Mad River Lodge Building
1831 Erected as merchantile store-
served as town office, post office, etc for the following 90 years.
1845 Building burned, and rebuilt, perhaps for third time. Rebuilt in brick, and porch added. Original “basement” main entrance and three bay windows now covered by porch.
Porch is the remaining and outstanding example of 19th bay windows for retail buildings.
Mad River Lodge #77 established 1868
Current Charter June 11,1868 by the Grand Lodge of Vermont (organized 1794)
Free and Accepted Masons of Vermont
Town founder Benjamin Wait among first members.
Current Home- Mad River Lodge purchased former Richardson/Boyce/Greene store in 1920, and it has served since as our Masonic Lodge building.
4376 Main Street, Waitsfield, VT 05673
1993 We renovated and rededicated the Lodge Room on 125th anniversary.
1994- present- Renovations of dining room and kitchen, anteroom, all electrical and plumbing to code, new roof, tuckpointing, foundations, and on-going porch renovation.
2012 Cornerstone Laying for New Porch and Renovation
by Grand Lodge of Vermont.
2012 Welcomed Oddfellows Lodge #16 to share Lodge Room and other facilities.
Note: the term “Lodge”, like the term “Church” may refer to a building, but more importantly refers to a group of people with common purposes and activities.
Download this three page PDF from the 20 December 2012 Valley Reporter. Written by Brother J Robert Danaher, it includes historic details and photos.